Ramadan is the month of blessings. It is the month of revelation of Quran, the month of reading and reciting the whole Quran, the month of Tahajjud and Qiyam al-layl prayers, Sadaqah, Zakah al-Fitr and Zakah al-Mal. Ramadan is also a month of social activities among Muslims.
No one can go anywhere without preparation, and no one invites a guest without preparing to welcome him / her. Similarly, to welcome Ramadan, the month of fasting, one has to prepare.
The following are some tips to help prepare accordingly:
- Try to make changes in your character and manners that leads to only good deeds/Sawab.
- Start giving Sadaqah daily, no matter how little. Make it like a habit.
- Start reading Quran daily after Salat al-Fajr and before bed.
- Make Tahajjud and Taraweeh prayers compulsory for Ramadan.
- Spend time listening to recitations from the Quran.
- Keep yourself in a state of Wudu (Ablution) most of the time.
- Evaluate yourself daily before going bed.
- Thank Allah for good deeds, and repent to Him for your mistakes and sins.
- Find time to pray extra prayers.
- Spend more time reading Islamic books, especially the Quran, Sirah, Hadith, and Fiqh.
- Find time to help others with your wisdom, knowledge and other talents.
- Associate with Muslim scholars / ulama and other pious people so that you may learn from them.
- Train yourself to do good, render free service to others to seek the pleasure of Allah.
- Try to feed the poor as much as u can.
- Also give your self the privilege to invite family and friends for Iftaar, as there is a great reward for it.
- Try to give happiness to people around you , even if it is to share a smile
What to avoid list during the month of Ramadan
- Avoid any kind of misunderstanding, false oaths, backbiting, rude behavior, any kind of deed that will be counted as a SIN.
- Reduce watching TV,and surfing internet… instead spend more time reading the Quran and other Islamic literature.
- Avoid looking at unlawful pictures, whether magazines, department store catalogs or otherwise.
- Avoid going to theaters; instead go to Masjid, Islamic organizations and make that a daily habit.
- Avoid eating too much. Eat only when you are hungry and try not to fill your stomach completely.
- If you smoke, try to reduce daily usage or totally quit it; otherwise Ramadan will be very difficult for you to observe.
- If you like to listen to music, whether the style of western societies or even those from Muslim countries, reduce, even eliminate the time you spent on them; replace them with reciting and listening to recitation from the Quran.
- Try to lessen your socialization and spend more time at home or masjid remembering Allah(swt).
- To prepare ourselves before the month of Ramadan arrives is far better than waiting till it comes.
Remember: “Time is not money or gold; it is life itself and is limited. You must begin to appreciate every moment of your life and always strive to make the best use of it.” – To prepare ourselves for anything in life is a sign of wisdom and maturity. No one is assured of living one day more; tomorrow may not come. So hurry and benefit from blessings and rewards from Allah.
May Allah(swt) bestow upon us his countless blessings, and guide us to fast in the month of Ramadan praying to him and reciting the holy Qura’aN….ameen